Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Discontinued Gnutella Client Forums > XoloX (Windows) > Support: General
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

Support: General General support discussions and announcements. XoloX has been discontinued. We highly recommend you use an actively developed client instead.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2001
Unregistered

Exclamation connecting with firewall

heya :)

this *should* be an easy question for the developers :)

I've been running several of those "file-sharing" programs, and since I am behind a firewall (linux-box) I always had to forward all traffic from certain ports.

I haven't been able to discover the ports to forward for Xolox yet; please tell me which ports Xolox wants to use, and if this is on basis of UDP or TCP, the rest will be no prob :)

Default gnutella-port (6346) doesn't seem to work.

Old October 17th, 2001
Unregistered

*oops* apologies: I should've looked through the forums beforing asking my question. It has been discussed before.. on the other hand: I couldn't find any answers to my question on the forums.

I've tried a bit, and it seems that it *does* work without port-forwarding. Right now I am waiting to see if anyone can download from me.. curious

For anyone interested --> this is the solution if you work with iptables and a linux-box between you and the internet.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d $OUTSIDE -s! $INSIDE_NET -p tcp --dport 6346 -j DNAT --to-destination $INSIDE_HOST

$OUTSIDE := your internet ip-adres
$INSIDE_NET := your inside network (something like 192.168.0.0/16 )
$INSIDE_HOST := the computer running Xolox (192.168.0.2 or something)
Old October 17th, 2001

Moak is flying high

Short answer: Gnutella user can only download from others as long as one of both can handle "incoming connections". If both can't (both behind firewalls or masquerading-routers), upload does not work.

One solution is port forwarding into your LAN (e.g. TCP 6346, I think that is what you have done above?), but it does only work with an forceIP option (which Xolox does _NOT_ provide yet, many other gnutella clients do, e.g Limewire, Phex or Bearshare). Another solution is using a socks proxy (which Xolox DOES support). A third solution is using a gnutella-proxy or gnutella-masquerading-module (which is not available yet, see here). A fourth solution is for geeks only, tunneling gnutella traffic through another protocoll and host (but this is definitely more computer geek stuff, they know what to do).

Long answer: Gnutella download is Peer2Peer, so the restriction descibed above is a limitation due to TCP/IP protocoll... or to be more specific because of blocking firewalls or IP-masquerading/NAT-routers which can't handle incoming traffic without specifc modules. If you're interested in technical details, please read gnutella documents/specification about Pushrequest and Pushroutes + (Linux) Networking Howto.

Sorry, I won't describe it here, it would take too long (see here if you can understand german, it's a detailed description which I may translate next weeks).

Hope it helps, Moak

Last edited by Moak; October 17th, 2001 at 09:14 AM.