Thread: Download Speeds
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2005
Lost In Time

fabion is flying high

Hi scrubber

1st you are downloading from other host. There is no LimeWire central server/pool.

The hosts' that are sharing are where you get the search results from, and they are online when you do the search, but that doesn't mean they will stay on, as hosts connect and disconnect all the time. This can be frustrating at times, especialy if only a single host has a particular file. The host(s) have to be online for you to d/l from them.

Hi massillonmarine

I remember not so long ago when I had dialup. I couldn't wait for the d/l to finish, and I was elated to see those 6 KB/s d/l. It was like hitting the lottery. Yes hosts and users should remember this, and also that d/l speeds are determined by the host's u/l speed.

You can't expect to get a 20+ KB/s xfer speed from a dialup host. I'm quite contented to see a d/l speed of 2 or 3 KB/s from a dialup host, because that host is trying there best to help the "G" network by also sharing and splitting there connection speed, which means there d/l speeds are the same. That is a tremendous sacrifice on the host's part.

Just an added note: There are many places in the world that only dialup is available. They have no broadband available.