View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Hi Pedlar

How's the weather up in Brum, in London it's overcast but not much rain at the moment, we get the occasional sunshine so, all in all, it’s not that bad.

I guess as a newbie you fell for the trap set by the scammers, which is very big business. Imagine hundreds of new users joining the net daily looking for an easy way to download music, they then come across a slick scam site that seems to promise all you could want for a low price. Well Pedlar, all their smooth words are lies and all you get for your money is a URL link to Limewire Basic, which is freely available.

I guess the reason your bank will not give you your money back is because our companies are not so internet savvy as our American cousins, our companies still believe in basic truth and honesty while the internet is really like the Wild West.

Anyway, on to your questions:
Quote:
I take it I should always use my credit card?
Yes, always use your credit card when buying via the internet because most CCs have an anti-fraud scheme in place and can refund your money without too much difficulty.

Quote:
Should I scrub out the scam site and register for the official Limewire?
Again, Yes. Because LW is open source anyone, with enough knowledge, can put anything in it and there have been reports in the past of users downloading LW, from scam sites, containing malware (spyware, adware and possibly viruses).

Finally, don’t forget to install anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware and anti-secret installation software on your PC. The internet is littered with all sorts of scumbags, criminals, hackers, etc. hiding behind enticing (honey trap) websites, which try to put viruses, worms, keyloggers and/or Trojans on your PC to steal your ID and financial information.

Have fun but stay safe.

UK Bob