View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2005
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough

I myself run as a UP about 90% of the time. The only time I disable it is when I am doing heavy DL mainly when I m testing betas and trying to see if I can make it freeze or break it somehow. One thing you should know is if you run as a UP and you do not have allot of memory 1gig or more there is a good chance it will slow down your computer. When running in UP mode and DL heavily LW will use about 90MB of memory LW and just about any Java based program has a memory leak it shows up more in UP mode than leaf.

If you occasionally minimize LW it will clear the leak and it will run at around 50MB but it will slowly creep back up to 90MB.
When running in leaf I have yet to see the newer versions get above 65MB. I keep my UL bandwidth set at about 75% of my capability when running in UP the reason for this is if I go above that it will start to slowdown the Internet.

So there are some things to think about when running in UP I run in UP because I have no problems doing so. But if you do not have a mid to top end computer you will see an affect on you computers performance.

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa