View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2001
Disciple

3vi1 is flying high
Default Not wrong.

I can't be 'wrong': when the program causes an access violation and everything else is fine, it's the programs fault. When running the program slows the entire system down by 200 - 300%, it's the programs fault. When everything else works, but the XoloX interface hangs every other day, it's XoloX's bug, not anyone elses.

It sounds like you guys denying it don't have constant uploads going out as well as concurrent downloads of 700MB files. I leave my systems on and connected to the internet 24x7 (1.4Mb DSL). I hadn't rebooted two of my systems for over a month before trying XoloX, and now I reboot regularly (every day on Win2k Server, every two to three days under WinXP) because it eventually hangs, yet leaves them running at a crawl even when I end the task.

I now have four people who live in my area trying XoloX, and it crashes on *all* of their computers if they leave it up and downloading for multiple days. Add in the three other computers upon which I've installed it, and that's 7 PC's (two of them clean OS installs) where it consistantly crashes.

Denying the problem exists is not helpful, if you have not done extensive testing as we have. Being able to start XoloX, download a 30MB file, and shut XoloX down before it's had time to start getting goofy is not proof enough to say that the problems aren't there. I'm sure if we took a poll, the majority of people would say they've had it crash on their systems at least once, and a good number of more intensive users would say it crashes regularly.

I suppose I could really cut down the number of crashes by only running XoloX when I want to download something and shut it down when done. But, if everyone did that, it would be quite detrimental to the gnutella network. What good is it to share 45MB of files, if I only make them available to the public for 5 minutes at a time?

The only real, acceptable, solution is to get some stability patches made to XoloX.

-JL