Thread: where to now??
View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2001
Apprentice

kitten_scot is flying high
Default where to now??

i only downloaded xolox a month ago after finally deciding to use an alternative to audiogalaxy since searches had become so complicated. i use winmx as well but i'v heard s much about other p2p filesharers - has anyone got any acurate info about whats good for who and whats not. maybe we can get a usefull thread started for those who are now left looking for an alternative.

just to get started...

winmx

- you simultaneously connect through the decentralized WinMX Peer Networking Protocol and to many networks based on the OpenNap and Napster protocols.
you can share and download any filetype and also it tracks and resumes broken transfers.
theres the ability to throttle upload and download bandwidth along with upload and download bandwidth graphs(in my view they look pretty but theres not much you can do with them-or if there is i'v yet to find out)
Per-user and over-all upload AND download queuing
Full chat capabilities including op commands
Multiple docking window interface great for hi-res and multi-monitor systems
Close program or shutdown computer (Win9x only) when transfers finish
Compatible with most LAN configurations
(soz-i got bored typing it in so i'v just copied the rest of the spec)

most importantly it contains NO SPYWARE!!!
you are also given more than enough information about the file you are downloading. if its a song you get the length, size, bitrate, frequency, the user supplying it, their type of modem, and how available it is.
the download speed, as with all these tools, varies according to lots of things but i'v found it to be generally good - not always as good as xolox could b but better than audiogalaxy

so - thats my contribution, anyone else going to add something??