View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2001
Novicius

Verminator is flying high
Angry BearShare sucks, LimeWire sucks, whatelse???

Hi,

I've always been using BearShare and this servent is about to become real crap. Also the guys who are implementing it seem to have a slight problem with user requests and dealing with other people in general.

So I thought about LimeWire (since Java rules!!!) but reading the threads in their forums here makes me wonder if I really want to install that one. I mean who installs a virus on purpose? I already have IE on my machine (not that I installed that one on purpose ).

Whatelse???

A real while ago I also tested ToadNode (which couldn't even handle more than one connect; caused a crash there) and Gnotella (which I couldn't consider a working program back then).

I've switched from NT to W2K as W2K seems to be more mainstream than NT (not just due to P2P ) and I'm really willing to install a Gnutella-program. But which?

Why is it so hard to write a decent P2P-proggy that actually does what it is supposed to do? Don't get me wrong here but to me the toughest part of it is the routing of the various inbound and outbound traffic and holding an internal buffer with all the information. Ever heard of OOP?

What started as a really good idea once has become commercialized like hell and (therefore!?) more and more is lacking of comfort and usability. So this evolution is going the wrong way. What's coming after Gnutella? I'm waiting already.

All I want is something that
- can download files with resume from more than one host at the same time
- remembers downloads across sessions
- allows me to collect files with different names and sizes into one on my machine
- handles push-routes in a smart way
- doesn't exclude the majority of other servents around
- doesn't install additional crap that noone needs
- queues pending uploads (like FServe in IRC)
- uses +,-," and regular expressions in searches
- multi-window searches not limited to 16

That's what at least BearShare 2.3.0 can't do. If you think it can do it I have the experience that it can't. No need for a whacky GUI or chat.

I had the idea to start writing my own servent but was asked to contribute my ideas to the comunity since there will be a few new proggies out there soon. Ok, my ideas are listed here. Where are the proggies? Will there be any program the suits me?

It's X-mas season and New Year's Eve is coming up. People keep making promises and paint pictures of a glorious future but you don't see me with sparkling eyes. May I make a wish?

I'm sorry for this posting if you find it disturbing. But I'm not in my best mood right now.

Verminator