View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2007
Gnutella Veteran

jimbo-ice is flying high
Default Cant Connect (no matter what I do)

Ok, I decided to make a new thread because I felt the other was a little confusing . Here is my problem, I downloaded LimeWire on my new pc and after I click the icon, it fails to connect, I get and error message that says..."Your machine does not appear to have an active Internet connection or a firewall is blocking LimeWire from accessing the internet. LimeWire will automatically keep trying to connect you to the network unless you select "Disconnect" from the File menu". Now Im on the internet so I ruled the active internet connection, this left me with the firewall, now I been reading through these thread and tried some of the stuff and it still dont work (I tried configuring firewalls, turning firewalls off, reinstalling LimeWire, pretty much everything). Right now I have windows firewall off and LimeWire is an exception. My Norton Internet Security 2006 (which came pre installed on this pc) person firewall has LimeWire as "permit all". This is where I get 100% confused because im sure my modem or router or whatever its called doesnt have a built in firewall (someone pointed it out on my old thread), My isp lets LimeWire through (just last week I had LimeWire installed on my old pc and it ran with the same isp, modem, etc), and I configured/turned off my current firewalls (that I know of) to let LimeWire through, so Im wondering, why that error which I listed above comes up no matter what I do ? Im not the smartest person in the world when it comes to computers so be easy on my with the words .

1. OS version? (eg: Windows 98) Windows XP
2. What firewalls you have? 2 that I know of, Windows and the Norton Internet Security 2006 one. Could there be one that I dont know of thats messing my LimeWire up?
3. How much ram? 960MB
4. Hard Disk space available? No idea
5. Connection type? (eg: dialup, broadband, cable, etc.) Cable
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers? Motorolla SB5120 SURFboard Cable Modem
7. Where are you trying to connect from (house, appartment complex, school, student accomodation, work, etc.)? House
8. What version of LimeWire (LW) & Java do you have? (Go to LW's menu Help>About LW...) Will show both LW & Java version. LimeWire 4.12.6 Java 1.5.0_10
9. Who is your ISP provider (Internet Service Provider)? Atlantic Broadband
10. Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there? Your test worked!
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up. Not sure
12. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user. I had LimeWire on my old pc for a few months and it ran perfect, so experienced user, new problem
13. Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface? Yes