View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2008
Apprentice

jmlm1977 is flying high
Unhappy more info about desktop/laptop setup

Found this reply so I'm filling it in....
So let's make it easy for everyone...the details that we need if we're going to be able to help with complex problems are:

1. OS version? WIN XP PRO SP2
2. What firewalls you have? AVG and Windows , both disabled
3. How much ram? 4GB
4. Hard Disk space available? 300GB
5. Connection type? (eg: dialup, broadband, cable, etc.) Cable Modem
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers? Modem:Motorola Surfboard SVB5120 Router:Linksys Eatherfast w/ 4 port switch
7. Where are you trying to connect from? house
8. What version of LimeWire (LW) & Java do you have? LW 4.8 0 Java 1.6.0__06
6. Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Optimum Online
10. Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there? GOT "Your Test Worked!"
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up. No other Computers
12. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user. 2nd try, works perfect on laptop, not on desktop
13. Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface? _ click here to see Sample image Do not have blue world Icon at all!
14. For those using a modem/router, how is your modem/router set up...are you port forwarding or is UPnP enabled? Tried both, neither works, originally set up as UPnP.
15. What security programs are you using (antivirus etc)? Some people might not be aware that their security suite includes a firewall Use Windows Firewall and AVG Security Suite. Usually Win Firewall is disabled. For limewire, I disabled both.
16. What country are you living in? USA

Hopfully, this is enough information about my system. The fact that I don't have the blue globe icon might mean something.

Thanks for any help.
Jim