View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2001
Unregistered

Wink

Hiya Buck --

Man, I should register so I could get a nifty username... oh well...

The install information is all in the readme.zip file you get when you expand the installer file ;-). <sacrcasm> IBM is known for it's straight forward install packages </sarcasm>.

Anyway, here is Jeff's special readme:

-- Download 2 files from the IBM site (website link is in my first post), and save them into the same folder on your machine. The files you will need are ibm-cpt-in20.exe and ibm-cpt-rn20.exe.

-- Now, double click each of these files one at a time to let them expand. A bunch of crap will get saved into the same folder. You love this sort of crap, so wait for later to delete it. You do not need to expand the crap even if it looks very tempting (there is a very tempting .exe in there that you must resist expanding). Expanding crap just makes things messy... ummm...

-- Now's a great time to turn off your virus checker AND LimeWire as we are about to install stuff. I would consider closing all my open browser windows, too.

-- Double click the file titled install.exe

-- Go through the installer prompts. Do NOT install the runtime environment into the same folder where the 'crap' is stored. I would suggest installing it into the default 'Program Files' place it suggests for you. You will also get some prompt later on as to whether you want this to be your system JVM. You do.

-- When the installer is finished, I would suggest rebooting your machine. It is the Microsoft way.

-- If you wish, you can now put the 'crap' I mentioned earlier into the recycle bin, as it is no longer needed. The stuff you saved in your 'Program Files' place should remain on your machine for eternity (or until the next JVM update).

Have fun, and I hope this works for you!

Jeff O.