View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

bad_vlad is flying high
Default Re: Re: Re: Blonde newbie ...........

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen

This has nothing to do with your client, they connect both to the same net... the reason is that you connect every time to other hosts and they have not the same files. You can only reach a part of the Gnutella net that is why it seems that other clients offer other files...

Morgwen
ummmm - I know the argument that the LW ultrapeer connects to all the other clients like shareaza etc so searches with shareaza and LW should in overall terms be pretty much equivelent (allowing for the fact that each program/search will reach different parts of the net) - but - my sense is that I'm far from the only LW user that is only really interested in audio files - if so - then as all the other leaf connections like me are preferenced into connecting almost exclusively with LW ultrapeers this must mean that the connections LW ultrapeers manage are disproportionately characterised by mp3 sharing

if users of clients other than LW (even modestly) tend to have a broader range of non mp3 files - then - connecting to these clients as ultrapeers will further contribute to the experience of more varied search results (in terms of file formats) than is the case when connected to a LW ultrapeer that is in turn disproportionately connected to other LW users

what do you reckon?

bad-vlad