View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2004
Disciple

Danteism is flying high

I spent over an hour using the search functions to no avail.

Being new to ports, IP's, and P2P, I had no idea what to search for.

"Configure Router" and just "Router" turned up nothing helpful, so I greatly appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

The links helped to guide me to my router configuration page, but please forgive me for my ignorance... I still seem to be missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

The PortForward guide says that I need a static IP to set up Port Forwarding. Unfortunately their Static IP Guide only has information for Windows systems.

I'm on an iMac running OS 9.2.2 using a LinkSys BEFSR41 V3 router. Is there anyone that can guide me on how to do this... or at least point me to a resource that gives directions?

Next, in the Port Forwarding Guide for my specific router it states:

Quote:
If you are unsure of the port range/ranges check the Ports list page or the software manufacture's homepage.
The PortsForward.com Ports list page doesn't have info for LimeWire and I can't seem to find the information anywhere on the LimeWire homepage.

What port range should I be entering here?

Lastly (I hope... lol) on this page it states:

Quote:
In the IP Address box, enter the IP adress to forward the ports to.
Well, the IP address I get when I use online IP checkers isn't even close to what is available on my configuration screen. It's only letting me change the last set of numbers, but none of the first 3 sets seem to match.

Am I completely misunderstanding what needs to be done here?

I'm sorry if this is all completely basic, but I've got no one locally using a mac to help me out and I really do want to give back to the community by being able to make uploads available.

Many thanks once again.

Dante