View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2006
Novicius

MBC4723 is flying high
Default Problems w/ Describing audio files in LimeWire & playing them in WMP

I currently have LimeWire PRO 4.10 on Windows XP, and I use a modem connection. Previously I had LimeWire 4.9. After downloading audio files in LimeWire, I clicked on the Library tab, enqueued the files into the LimeWire player, and saved them in My Documents within the My Music folder. I started Windows Media Player 10 and opened the audio files. The songs played fine.

Later, after I upgrated to LimeWire 4.10, I started using the LimeWire Describe option for each file to add/revise title, artist, year, and genre (if necessary). After saving the files, I tried to play them in WMP. However, for each file I tried to play, a dialog box came up that stated, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I decided to try another option. I downloaded another audio file in LimeWire but did not use the describe option. Again, I enqueued the file and saved it to My Music; then I played it in WMP. The song played w/o any problems.

Obviously, using the Describe feature on an audio file in LimeWire adversely affects its playback performance in WMP. An audio file downloaded in LimeWire seems to play in WMP only if I don't use the Describe feature. Even if I delete/change the description, the file still won't play in WMP. (Besides, WMP 10 is the most recent version). Does anyone know if this problem can be corrected? I hope I don't have to re-download all those songs! Thanks.