View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2002
Unregistered

I have to agree with the sentiment expressed by a few other posters, and reiterate the question: why is 2.0.2 still available for download?

I just came back from the download.com website after having read the user comments. Boy oh boy, is Limewire ever taking a beating over there, with everybody recommending VERY strongly against installation. I too was somewhat ****ed off at having to clean out my system infection after installing this thing.

I note that there've been some defensive statements made by developers, moderators, and just plain Limewire lovers, and that's all fine and good. But in this game, perception is everything. Someone said that this trojan isn't "really" a trojan, but how far and wide is this opinion going to be spread, compared to the much-more prevalent view that it IS a trojan? Symantec thinks it is, and for 99% of your prospective users, that's all that counts. People hear the word "trojan" and they freak out, and they're NOT going to go searching the internet trying to determine if it's true or not. Norton Anti-Virus says "warning: trojan!" and that's as far as they're gonna go.

The longer this thing stays available for download, and the longer Limewire goes without making a full apology right on the front page of their website, the more damage is done to Limewire's reputation. That's a simple fact, and all the arguing we want to do about what is and what is not a trojan won't change that fact.

So the Limewire people have a choice. CORRECT this problem right away, or watch their market share plummet like a brick.

Joey Lindstrom
Calgary, Alberta, Canada