View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2009
Gnutella Admirer

PickaxeFairy is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings View Post
Very definitely!

I started using LW on dial up 6-7 years ago. lol It was a major struggle. Learnt tricks along the way. But then I upgraded to 256/64 kbps. Then up higher ... about 2 MB. Since improvements in the lines it's even higher now, sometimes getting download speeds beyond 1 MB/s. However my uploads are limited to around 100 KB/s which is disappointing. My country has one of the biggest differences between uploading & downloading speeds in the world. I read where uploading is more technically difficult. But still not sure how some countries do better than others. I'm sure ISP's play some guilty part there somewhere.

BTW my ISP does not advertise it's bandwidth speed. Only their bandwidth total limits per month. However I was told by their techs that the actual speed is around 24 MBps. But that very few people would get even close to those speeds due to many reasons such as using old lines along the way, & distance between user & ISP (which is in another state to me.)

I'm really happy with my download speeds; I seem to have a permanent 20MB and it very rarely goes below that.
Considering it's Virgin Media we're talking about here, I'm shocked and stunned! Though *apparently*, they "don't support uploads".... so I'm stuck at 90KB/s - which annoys me somewhat - considering all other suppliers *claim* to have minimum upload speeds of 1GB.

I really can't complain though.... the difference to my Limewire 'experience' is major, it has to be said. It's a pleasure to use these days.