View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2002
Connoisseur

cultiv8r is flying high

Quote:
Do you mean a host cache which is not only caching but connecting directly to other nodes like I said as a pure Gnutella based host cache? I think this would be better because the GWebcache method works only indirectly (you have to report Gnucleus) and although Gnucleus is great - I really hate it to be addicted to anybody. The other method works without Gnucleus too.
I was more referring to a full-fledged Gnutella client, such as gnutellahosts.com using BearShare for the purpose handing out a few pongs. If you'd like host caches widely spread among more comon users (think in terms of people using websites hosted at an internet provider or at home), such will not succeed. You'll need to have a system that takes up less resources, etc. You can still connect to other host caches, and exchange data, but it shouldn't be as frequent as what we're accustomed to with a true Gnutella client. Another issue, again focusing on the common users, is that Web services are usually limited to HTTP or FTP. If one can fully utilize that, which is something the current GWebCache comes close to, then that's of course excellent. But, it's all a matter of opinion though - I tend to use examples that hit closer to home.

-- Mike