View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2001
Yeah, me again

Brotaris is flying high
Default Re: If it walks like spyware and talks like spyware...

Quote:
Originally posted by SRL
OnFlow, in their *own* privacy statement, admit their plug-in associates a unique ID for every user......
Do they say unique ID for every user? or for every Onflow player ?  There is a difference in level of privacy.
Quote:
I won't even mention the SaveNow travesty. Common sense should tell anyone it *must* spy on your surfing to do what it does. How can it show you (ugh) pop-up ads for a competing websites unless it monitors where you're surfing too?
Personal info is not required for this type of monitoring. I mean, what possibly could they need to know other than "Hey, this guy went to that sports site, so let's pop up an ad for an online sports store" ?? They don't need any personal info for that, I'm sure.
Quote:
Sure they try and make like it's harmless and "no personal identifying" information is sent. This is simple bullsh*t! It doesn't need to "send" this info because the unique identifier alone can be used to associate you personally the first time you make a purchase at an affiliated site.
It can associate me personally ???? WOW! You mean if my wife surfs around, then I do some surfing, they can tell who's who??? DOUBLE WOW!!

Look, everyone needs to settle down and take a pill. Paranoia will destroy ya. You have no idea how much your personal info is "spied" on each time you go online.... and NOT by Onflow or SaveNow, that's for sure.
And okay, you wanted a choice whether to install it or not; well, that choice is now there.  The fact that it took Vinnie awhile to do that for us is a moot point now. Why bring it up anymore? The "problem" has been fixed!

All in all, rehashing this spyware garbage is getting very old. All that can be said has been said. Why don't we just get on with sharing files and contributing to the network in positive ways.

If you like Bearshare, keep using it and work with Vinnie to make it better. If you have a problem with Bearshare, go ahead and tell him about it - in a mature, productive manner, no matter if he lashes out or not (which he wouldn't do unprovoked anyway).

All this bashing and trashing is a waste of time.