View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2002
torque2k

Angry Could not move to Library - ridiculous bug...

OK, I posted this in another thread, but figured it might not get looked at as it should...

I was hoping 2.8 would fix some things, but I guess that was too much to hope for...

Until recently (2.7.9), I had been having no problems at all with LimeWire, other than the occasional "swimming through molasses" issues which seem to be the norm around here in OS X. My 10.1.5 system was running fine, 768MB of RAM, 120GB of hard drive space, dual G4/450s... Then, out of the blue, I started getting the dreaded "Could not move to Library" errors.

Now I've gone through every single thread in these forums concerning this issue, and I'm aware of the bug with X/LimeWire not allowing oddball characters in the filename. This error, though, happens on files of all sizes, with no odd characters involved.

I upgraded to 2.7.13, and the program crashed constantly. I don't think I had it running for more than 5 minutes at a time. Thinking it may have been a bad RAM chip, I replaced ALL of the RAM with PC100 chips from my old Win2K box. No diff. Uninstalling and reinstalling back to 2.7.9 didn't help.

I've been meaning to upgrade to Jaguar for awhile (discs have just been sitting, while I tested Jag on an older G3 system for compatibility issues), so I took the plunge...

I installed 10.2 (plus .2 update) onto a fresh hard drive last week, and installed 2.7.13 (Pro), and it crashed almost immediately everytime. I uninstalled it, installed 2.7.9, and that seemed to work, though it would still randomly crash. I did an upgrade to 2.7.13, and that now works, though I still have the occasional crash. No Norton on my system, either. Biggest piece of software I've installed so far has been Mozilla 1.2.1.

I'm downloading files with no odd characters (worst is a hyphen!), and although I was having the worst time trying to download large files (+400MB), it's now happening with files under 30MB as of this morning...

I haven't downloaded the PC version to try it, but I'm not sure I want to mung up my WinXP Pro box.

I will not renew my subscription. I'll probably go back to using the PC to download using Gnucleus, unless someone can tell me what the problem is. I've really WANTED to stick with LW, but this is getting silly, I tell you, just silly!

LimeWire now officially sucks. Please help.